At Realserve, we understand that it is critical to know the accurate rentable area of your commercial property and a precise Rentable Area Survey is essential for this.
A Rentable Area survey is a measured survey of the floor space for leasing purposes and is often used to assist with rental calculations or a property valuation.
Our aim is to provide the highest quality floor plan area surveys provided in our unique Rentable Area Survey format that complies with the Method of Measurement as set out by the Property Council of New Zealand (formerly known as BOMA surveys).
To see Rentable Area Survey examples, click here or scroll to the bottom of this page.
Do I require a Rentable Area Survey?
Yes, if you don't have a plan, your plan is not clear, or your plan is not compliant with the current method of measurement guidelines.
The below questions will assist you in determining whether the plan you have is suitable:
- Have your plans been prepared by a Rentable Area Survey specialist?
- Do your plans clearly state a survey date?
- Plans should be ‘as measured’ I.e. NOT based on architectural or marketing drawings
- Have there been multiple revisions? If so, are you sure you have the most current version?
- Do your plans state that they are measured in accordance with the current method of measurement guidelines?
- Has the correct method of measurement been applied?
- Have there been any changes to the premises since the areas were calculated? The method to be used is determined by the use of the premises and the inclusions and exclusions are unique to the different methods.
NOTE: A change in premises use will most likely affect the area and new calculations will be required – for example, the areas may be calculated to the external face of a wall rather than the internal face, increasing the area.
- Are the plans clear and do they provide the information you need?
- Are inclusions clearly outlined? E.g. Exclusive Zones (Outdoors) and other negotiated areas
- Are exclusions clearly outlined? E.g. Base building areas, voids over stairs, mezzanines, low head heights at stairs, etc.
- Are lease lines labelled? E.g. Line of Tenancy Produced (LTP) where lease lines have been negotiated.
If you cannot confidently answer any of the above questions, your local Realserve representative can call you to discuss your Rentable Area Survey requirements. Click to have one of our experts call you.
Why do I need a Rentable Area Survey from Realserve?
We know incorrectly quoted building areas can lead to costly disputes even litigation. As industry leaders in the preparation of Rentable Area Surveys (PCNZ / BOMA Surveys), we ensure our surveys are undertaken to the highest level of accuracy by utilising the latest surveying equipment. Our Surveyors and technicians offer an unbiased and impartial interpretation of the Property Council of New Zealand guidelines and offer to our clients our years of experience in determining rentable areas. Realserve provide accuracy and clarity in Rentable Area Surveys, and peace of mind for the agent, owner, and tenant.
We specialise in:
RENTABLE AREA SURVEYS (METHOD 1 & 2)
For Commercial Properties, calculating tenancy areas in Office Buildings and Office and Business Parks
RENTABLE AREA SURVEYS (Method 3)
For Retail Tenancies, calculating tenancy areas in Shopping Centres, Strip Shops and Free-Standing Shops in suburban streets.
RENTABLE AREA SURVEYS (Method 4)
For Industrial Sites, calculating tenancy areas in Warehouses, Industrial Buildings, Free Standing Supermarkets and Showrooms
With over 18 years of experience in accurately determining rentable areas, we understand it is essential to safeguarding the interests of both tenants and owners alike. A small miscalculation in the area of a property can have significant impact when multiplied over the course of a 10 or 20-year lease, so having a precise Rentable Area Plan is a requirement.