Is BIM just another way of saying 3D Design? There is a very common misconception that BIM (Building Information Model) and 3D design are one and the same. In reality, the BIM process is much more.
BIM is a process for creating and managing all the information on a specific project – before, during, and after its construction. The digital description of every aspect of the built asset and the output of this process, is the Building Information Model.
To ensure a project’s success, you need to start with a survey-accurate 3D model, and this is where you can start achieving the associated benefits.
3D scan to BIM ensures that all buildings, irrespective of their age, can be brought into line with modern workflows. This process, of capturing real world conditions by the 3D laser scanner, can ensure detailed and accurate representations of all characteristics of a structure, building or service discipline.
If you have any questions about the BIM process and your project, don’t hesitate to contact us.
NEW ZEALAND OFFICE PHONE NUMBER: 09 360 3264
The 3 steps to starting with confidence on your BIM project:
- Scanning - point cloud is created
- Process - point cloud is registered
- Model - the output is made: a CAD/Revit 3D model
Below is a helpful BIM workflows model that we have provided for your ease.
BIM Advantages and Features:
- It facilitates collaboration and coordination between the disciplines involved in the construction, design, maintenance and operation of existing buildings. The associated project team works on the exact same model and any changes or updates are coordinated automatically.
- Your time is saved, given the coordination checks can be reduced or even eliminated through clash detection.
- This will show any cost implications of design changes while they occur.
- Any errors on site are reduced significantly as information is clash detected and coordinated.
- The building service information is made available for facilities management upon completion of the build project.
- The information transfer between each phase of design, construction and operation is much smoother, as each step of the process and related discipline adds their information to the model.
- Your overall productivity is increased, as information is retrieved easily and faster.